8 Hours Later — Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood

My wife has a very interesting way of describing Assassin’s Creed 2: “That game that almost ended our marriage.”

While she assures me that she is joking, it did delay my purchase of Brotherhood. While I am past the first eight-hour mark, I can tell you that Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood is a good time. I’ve completed 30% of the game, but I’m in no hurry to see the other 70%. It’s not that the game isn’t fun, it’s because there’s so much I want to do!

The Brotherhood
When I first read that you can recruit allies and use commands to receive assistance at any point in a mission, I was worried that it would take away from the lone-wolf experience that has been the Assassin’s Creed series. I was happy to find out that it’s not an issue. If you’re running along a rooftop and you see someone who could impede your quick progress, you can summon your fellow assassins to descend on him without breaking your stride.

It makes the experience more robust; I feel more connected to the world. Not only am I the greatest Assassin in Italy, I now have an army at my beck and call. And that’s a good feeling.

Still intact
Everything that made Assassin’s Creed 2 great is still here: graphics, sound, gameplay, and Ezio’s sweet beard. You still can scale a wall with the greatest of ease, hop over another wall, land on the back of a horse, and assassinate the rider with the bonus satisfaction of riding that horse out through the crowd of bodyguards sworn to protect the guy you just killed. (Side note: THAT HAPPENED!)

I have played a few games recently that had free running gameplay mechanics. While they were good, they were not this good.

Ezio is a machine when it comes to maneuvering from rooftop to street and back to rooftop. The game controls refuse to get in your way — they are so tight that the game feels like an extension of your own brain, anticipating what you want to do before you do it.

Can’t Wait
While I am curious about where the story is headed, I am more curious to see just how much is available to explore in this game. I put little weight into the importance of Achievements, but Assassin’s Creed 2 is one game that I own all 1000 points in. It was just that good. (Yes, it took me nearly thirty-five hours to do everything you possibly can, but it was time spent having an incredible amount of fun.)

Will I finish Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood? Yes. Will it happen soon? That all depends on just how much they packed into this game. I say bring it on! I can best it.

About Donald Conrad

Donald Conrad is an avid father and a dedicated gamer -- or maybe that's the other way around. He loves his games, and he loves his family, and he's pretty sure he loves sleep, even if he doesn't remember what it was like. Follow his life confusion on Twitter @ConManEd